Research Analyst, Investment Data Science
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 55 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients. POSITION
The Investment Data Science group at Wellington is a growing, Boston-based team that has the vision and potential to impact investment outcomes throughout the firm. We partner directly with Wellington's world-class community of investors, applying data science and machine learning to tackle a wide range of questions about companies, industries, and the global economy. The environment is fast-paced and collaborative, and we have deep access to data from both public and proprietary sources. Since data science is a mash-up of multiple research disciplines, we have built a team that features diverse backgrounds and complementary skills. We draw on a range of modeling techniques like Bayesian statistics, machine learning, and natural language processing, and work with large structured and unstructured sources of data to produce investment insights. Our team delivers these insights in the form of dashboards or visualizations, as predictive models, and, in some cases, as signals that can be plugged directly into systematic investment strategies. RESPONSIBILITIES
- Research and develop data-driven insights on the future direction of companies, economies, financial markets, new technologies, and industries.
- Collaborate and build relationships with Wellington's broad investment community to source new project ideas and help investors harness data science to enhance their process.
- Build expertise on a subset of Wellington's alternative datasets to answer investor questions and proactively disseminate data-driven research.
- Work with team members and engineers to improve our shared technology stack and operating environment.
We believe in building a diverse team with varying qualifications and experiences. As such, we are looking for researchers who can bring not only technical and quantitative skills, but also unique perspectives to the many questions and problems we are tackling. The ideal candidate is a self-directed, hard-working team player. This person must be intellectually curious and capable of managing the demands of multiple projects at one time. The Research Analyst should be a quick study with high energy. This position is appropriate for individuals with strong analytical capabilities, strong written and verbal communication skills, and an eagerness to apply both in the context of a collaborative investment decision-making process.
Specific qualifications for the position are the following:
- Advanced academic degree or equivalent experience in a quantitative field such as computer science, mathematics, or statistics.
- Deep experience working with probability, statistics, time-series and cross-sectional analysis, especially with large data sets.
- Proficiency with Python or a similar object-oriented programming language.
- Expertise with software frameworks supporting scientific computing and machine learning.
- Interest in applying computational methods to tackle challenging real-world problems in the domain of finance and economics.
- Familiarity with financial markets and investing; direct experience with financial datasets is helpful but not required.
This position will be based in Wellington's Global Headquarters in Boston, MA. SKILLS JOB TITLE
Research Analyst, Investment Data Science LOCATION
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com .