Associate, Financial Modeling - PhD (NY)
Description About this role
BlackRock is one of the world's preeminent asset management firms and a best-in-class provider of global investment management, risk management and advisory services to institutional, intermediary and individual investors around the world. BlackRock's mission is to build a better financial future for our clients. We have a responsibility to be the voice of the investor, and we represent each client fairly and equally. Constant communication with a diverse team of partners strengthens us and delivers better results for our clients. Continuous innovation helps us bring the best of BlackRock to our clients. BlackRock offers a range of solutions - from rigorous fundamental and quantitative active management approaches aimed at maximizing out-performance to highly efficient indexing strategies designed to gain broad exposure to the world's capital markets. Our clients can access our investment solutions through a variety of product structures, including individual and institutional separate accounts, mutual funds and other pooled investment vehicles, and the industry-leading iShares® ETFs. Business Unit Overview:
Come join a diverse and collaborative team of researchers at the Financial Modeling Group (FMG) who are responsible for the research and development of financial models underpinning the risk management and relative value analytics produced at BlackRock. The group also contributes to the infrastructure platform to produce analytics and the delivery of analytic content to portfolio and risk management professionals both within and outside BlackRock. Given the diversity of business objectives among BlackRock Solutions clients and within BlackRock itself the models developed and supported by the Financial Modeling Group span a wide array of financial products, ranging from equity to fixed income to derivatives. In addition, members of FMG seek to provide analysis and insight on many different levels from analysis of the cash flows of a single bond to the overall financial risk associated with an entire portfolio, enterprise or balance sheet. Key Responsibilities:
FMG is looking for multiple quantitative researchers in various fields of expertise. The researchers' primary job responsibilities is to develop methodologies, models and analytics to help portfolio and risk managers to better conduct valuation or manage risks at both security level and portfolio level.
- Doing empirical research and calibrating statistical models of market, credit, liquidity and climate risk across asset classes at portfolio level or of mortgages, consumer loans, structure products and alternative investments at security level
- Back testing, documentation and validation of empirical models
- Collaborate on papers for publication, presenting original research at industry conferences, and speaking with institutional clients about relevant research
- Connect with internal and external clients on model factors, forecasts, performance, strength and weakness, and risk/valuation implications.
- For environment economists: building economic scenarios in response to potential climate and energy policies.
Additional job responsibilities include working with portfolio management teams on bespoke projects supporting their investment processes; working with financial advisory teams on modeling projects for bespoke products or client whole loan portfolios. Skills & Qualifications:
- PhD in Economics, Finance, Statistics, Energy Policy, Environment Economics, Climate Policy or other quantitative disciplines
- Demonstrated ability to conduct high quality empirical research or theoretical research relevant for empirical analysis
- Strong background in applied econometrics, machine learning. empirical finance, macroeconomics, or other relevant studies in social and natural sciences
- Able to communicate quantitative information and collaborate effectively in a team environment
- Prior experience with statistical software (e.g., R, SAS, S-PLUS, MATLAB, Eviews) and background in programming (e.g., Python, C++) is a plus. Exposure to UNIX or SQL is a plus
- Prior experience in environment economics, energy modeling systems and policy analysis is plus
- Prior experience with large datasets and unstructured data is a plus
- Prior work experience in financial modeling (e.g., risk models and analytics, factor models, mortgage prepayment or credit, commercial credit, securitized products) is a plus
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
BlackRock's purpose is to help more and more people experience financial well-being. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, our clients turn to us for the solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of September 30, 2020, the firm managed approximately $7.81 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com/corporate | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock .
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.